As promised today I am going to give you a materials list and move on in the process of the large family tree.
Printout of family tree (2 copies)
Brown craft paint
Post it notes
2 sided tape
glue dots (permanent)
yarn or twine
green scrapbook paper for leaves
To print my pictures out in the square I sent them all to Instagram, then had them printed at Walgreens. I had already used a photo editing program to add names to all the images. This was the most time consuming part of the project, but I did it a little at a time, not all at once.
Next I took my extra copy of my family tree and cut each persons name out, and taped it to a post-it note. This was the easiest way for me to get everyone spaced out correctly, and to be able to move them around as needed.
You may not be able to tell from the picture but I used the twine to connect everyone. It made it a lot easier for me to see who was connected to whom. For example, I started with myself and ran strings from myself to my mom and my dad and then to their parents, and so on. It helped me to visualize the branches of the tree.
I was too nervous to sketch on the wall, so I did it first on the craft paper, then
cut the tree out and traced it on the wall with chalk.
You probably don’t need the craft paper. but I opted to do it the hard way 🙂 Plus, I decided to move it to a different wall after I had it all laid out, so that did not help!
After I had it all sketched out I started to paint with the brown craft paint. I used two colors that were very similar so it could have a little bit depth. Believe me I am no artist but I think the tree turned out pretty good:)
I placed all my pictures on the tree with two-sided tape. It made it pretty easy to adjust the pictures as I needed to. The problem was they kept falling off so I had to go back and use the permanent glue dots to keep them up there. Oops!
I then used my cutting machine to cut out tons of leaves in 2 shades of green cardstock. I ran them through the embosser to give them some dimension.
You could also cut these with a die cutter, or with scissors. Again the same issue with the two sided tape, so it looks like fall now 🙂 I have to go back and use the permanent dots when they fall off.
Thank you all for sticking with me through this looong project. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. I hope my family enjoys it being up there for years to come! I hope we don’t decided to move 🙂
All the Best,